Julie has excellent rice cooking tips I'm not including here so be sure to check out her post. Here is the recipe:
Brown Rice Salad
- 3-4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup (or more) diced red onion or shallots
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional, but I like garlic!)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup (or more) dried fruit, like cherries, cranberries or raisins*
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cup chopped parsley
Make the below vinaigrette and pour over cooled rice:
- 2 T local honey*
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- couple pinches of red pepper flakes, or a dash of cayenne pepper
Mix everything together, refrigerate, and taste.
*Obviously, the starred ingredients need to be modifed or left out completely.
- Dried fruit is a no-no and I'm stumped on a substitute (any thoughts?).
- Honey is also out so I may add a TINY bit of Stevia in place of the honey. However, hubby is a sweetener snob and refuses to eat anything containing Stevia "because it doesn't taste right (insert whining tone)!"
- Instead of balsamic vinegar I'm going to try lemon juice.
I'll update once I've tried this recipe and let you know how it turns out with the modifications!! Have a happy day :)