Friday, July 22, 2011

Lentils and Brown Rice

I wasn't particularly excited about this recipe but it is acceptable and sounded like it would be filling.  I found it in The Everything Organic Cooking for Baby and Toddler Book, which I've relied on heavily for the past month in my meal planning.  There are tons of great recipes that work perfectly as sides on my dinner menu.  

Lentils and Brown Rice
  • 1 cup short grain brown rice
  • 2 1/4 cups water
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup dried lentils
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 bouillon cube (vegan, chicken or beef)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, cove pan and simmer on low heat for 40 minutes.
4. Turn off heat, let sit 5 minutes covered, then fluff and serve.


It just dawned on me as I was typing up the recipe that I forgot to include the olive oil, which would explain why it turned out slightly dry (sigh).  I served this with steak and baked sweet potatoes.  It had a slightly sweet taste to it, which I'm assuming came from the carrots.  My hubby and I liked it, although the girls turned their noses up at it.  Oh well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment