Monday, July 25, 2011

Candida Friendly Breakfast Casserole Recipe!!

My husband grew up in the South an ADORES breakfast casseroles...you know, the ones full of bread, Bisquick and all that starchy, yeasty goodness.  I scoured the internet, unable to find any recipes void of breads, baking mixes and tons of cheese.  Can you say frustrating?!?!?! I fnally discovered a Cheesy Eggy Casserole recipe in my Taste Life! Organic Recipes cookbook which I modified to fit in with my anti-Candida diet.  May I just be honest for a moment and say, "It's fabulous!!"  Here's what ya do:

Breakfast Casserole
  • 1 lb. sausage, browned
  • 1 bag chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
  • 9-11 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups cooked rice
I start by getting my rice cooking.  I use brown rice and it takes about 45 minutes to cook. This time, I had leftovers of my Lentils and Brown Rice and tossed that in instead of cooking a new batch of rice. 

  

Then, brown your sausage, drain and let it start to cool.


Scramble your eggs.
  

Mix all your ingredients together.


Put it all in a 9 x 13 casserole dish and top with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese**.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the center of your casserole is no longer jiggly.  Pull it out and enjoy!!


** Now, I know you're thinking, "Cheese?? We can't have cheese!!" However, in her cookbook Healthful Eating, Lynette Hall addresses the subject of cheese.
"Most cheese making is via a process involving bacteria and use of vinegar.  To acidify the milk bacteria is added so the rennet (either an enzyme from a calf's stomach or derived from molds and yeast) will work and aid in the curing.  The only cheeses usually allowed are fresh mozzarella, feta and ricotta.  These are the only cheeses you will see in this cookbook.  Mozzarella uses citrus acid for processing, ricotta uses lemon juice and feta ripens in salt to brine.  As in all other foods, get the freshest you can from an organic source."
I mostly use mozzarella cheese and have not had a reaction to it.  Obviously, if you have a reaction after eating it, omit from this recipe. 

This is a perfect option for a quick, easy breakfast once you have it cooked.  It keeps wonderfully and my entire family loves this casserold (especially my munchkins!!).  Hope you enjoy it, too!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I'm desperately looking for relatively easy candida friendly recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayna, hope you enjoy the recipe! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds very yummy, but I'm a little surprised about the sausage and rice. I'm on the Candida diet right now, and pork products (understandably so) are off limits. :-( I think I could substitute those two ingredients with quinoa and chicken, though.

    ReplyDelete